You’re Invited: Get the Job You Want, Even When No One’s Hiring
Ford Myers, Award Winning Career Expert, offers Get the Job You Want, Even When No One is Hiring. Learn [...read more]
Negotiating: The Rules of the Game – Part 1
Your negotiating ability is a strength and an asset to your prospective employer. By doing it effectively right from the start, you are proving that when you’re on the other side of the desk, you will negotiate on behalf of the company to make the best deals, get the best prices, and generate the most profit. Some hiring managers even go so far as to say that when candidates do no negotiating at all, or stop negotiating too early in the process, they’re disappointed!
Everyone knows that negotiating for your livelihood is “serious business.” But in another sense, negotiating is a game! I’ll be honest and tell you that employers win this game the majority of the time. Want to know why? Because most job seekers don’t know the rules! It’s pretty tough to win a game when you don’t know how the game is played, right?
Here are the rules that you’ll need to study and master, to achieve your salary potential:
- Do extensive salary research, preparation and practice beforehand
- Defer salary discussions until an offer seems imminent
- Discuss salary only with the ultimate decision-maker
- Get the employer to state a salary figure or range first
- Wait until an actual offer is extended before negotiating anything
- Discuss salary only after you have fully described your relevant accomplishments
Click here to watch helpful career success videos!